My Curriculum Vitae
Download in Europass format
Account director at ICF Mostra (August 2014 to present. Brussels, Belgium)
Managing multi-annual, multi-million Euro framework contracts and projects across a wide range of DGs and EU agencies including DG COMM, AGRI, MOVE, ENER, CLIMA, GROW, FPI, NEAR, EASME, EEAS, OSHA, EU LISA among others. Main duties include: Managing a team of project managers and service providers delivering a broad range of communications services for the European institutions targeting citizens and specialist groups (pan-European campaigns; events; media relations; web, social media and digital services; audio-visual and print production, etc.), contract and financial management, business development (tender and budget preparation), business and strategy development, and client development and management
Consultant and team leader (September 2008 - August 2014)
Varous roles as a communications expert including:
- Evaluator (2014): Monitoring ENPI regional communications (Results Orientated Monitoring), a €14 million programme for 17 countries;
- Evaluator (2012-2013): Bosnia (EPRD, evaluation of information centre network); Belarus (Particip), review of programmes, providing recommendations for programming, and drafting ToR. Team Leader (2013): Serbia. Strategic advice to EC Delegation, monitoring EC cooperation programmes;
- Conference organiser: Speaker management/conference organiser for Telling the Story (12/13), a 2-day event in Brussels for 800 communicators for DG Regio/DG Agriculture. ICF Mostra.
- Visibility expert (2011/2012): Visibility expert EASCAB project (GOPA, EU-funded regional statistics project to support ASEAN secretariat in Jakarta, Indonesia). Organised and managed 2 high level conferences (120 participants) in 2011 and 2012. Reviewed and updated visibility materials and organised media relations and follow up for regional journalists (10-15 media).
- Team Leader (September 2009 to December 2011. Kiev, Ukraine) on €5.5 million project in Ukraine: “Women and Children’s Rights – communications component”.
- Consultant (2008 and 2009): Business development for corporate clients (Serbia, Turkey, Croatia, Ukraine); Development and delivery of training sessions on communications and PCM (VSO, EC Macedonia, EC Moscow).
Manager (April 2005 to August 2008. Ankara, Turkey)
- All aspects of communications programming and management from concept to contracting and evaluation (audio-visual, information management, publications, web sites, databases, training/events
- Management of media relations strategies (building networks, organising press events – interview, press conferences/releases, trips and training)
- Development and launch of grant scheme (writing guidelines, launch of grant scheme, grant evaluation)
- Development and management of 15 information offices around the country (total staff 20 persons)
- Provision of strategic advice to staff to projects and colleagues on promotion of assistance projects
- Development, launch and management of web site (design, content, content management)
- Management and human resource development for press and information team
Consultant (May 2002 to April 2005. Brussels, Belgium)
BDPA, France (10/2002-04/2005): Project Director for EU funded three-year communications programme in the Balkans. Responsible for:
- Team and project management (of six person team in the Balkans)
- Strategic advice provision to the Commission in Brussels on external communications
- Publications management – writing, commissioning (photography, writers, design), editing, and production management
- Management of events programme, electronic distribution system (database design and content management); web design (strategy, design liaison, content management)
- Management of training programme for political decision makers (Ministries) and journalists
- Monitoring, evaluation and review of impact and effectiveness of tools and strategy
- East-West Consulting, Belgium (09/02-03/03): Team manager, principal trainer and training programme designer for four-person training team conducting sessions in CEEC/CIS countries for local authorities wishing to apply for grants (CBC).
Managing director (August 1999 - May 2002. Brussels, Belgium)
- New business development (networking, lobbying, proposal writing – DG Tren, EuropeAid)
- Development of companywide marketing plan (positioning, promotion, target setting, production of communications tools, etc.)
- Management of suppliers and subcontractors
Senior Account Manager (May 1997 to August 1999. Brussels, Belgium)
- Development of communications tools (web sites, web-based extranets, Lotus notes based intranets, database development, on-line media monitoring) with suppliers in Belgium, France and the United Kingdom
- Publications management (including writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, translation) in French, German, English and other languages for leaflets, brochures, newsletters, reports, annual reports, case studies, etc.
- Conference and seminar organisation in Denmark (DG Environment), Germany (ICANN) and France (DG XIII)
- Set up and management of company antennae offices (Moscow and Kiev)
Prior to 1997: Positions in the European Union Delegation in Moscow, CARE international in Russia, Azerbaijan and Tajikistan, and working for the University of Donetsk in Ukraine
I went to university twice, did some post graduate courses and many training courses over the course of my career. These include;
- CAM postgraduate examinations: CAM certificate in Advertising and Marketing (1998)
- MA Journalism Studies (Communications). Centre for journalism studies, College of Cardiff, University of Wales (1995-1996)
- BA Hons Modern Languages (Russian, German, Dutch) 2:1 with distinction in Russian (1987-1991)